It has been 3 days since Sparkie came home.
Last Sat, we went to pick him up from the store at around 5.30pm, a few hours after his lunch, so as to prevent him from getting carsick. However, on the way home, he was shivering and all despite my efforts to calm him down (even wrapped him with a towel that I brought along and put him on my lap). Then, the unthinkable happened - he was so scared he lost control of his bladder and did his business (big and small) on me just as we drove into the parking lot.
I didn't know what to do, so we quickly let him into his crate to finish all his business but there was nothing left. We thought he was alright so we did not lock him up in his cage and let him run around excitedly in the apartment, exploring the place. When he reached our room, we saw from behind him that he was squatting down at the foot of our bed and I remember hearing him making weird noises. I went over and saw red jelly-like stuff on the floor and other liquid stuff around, which until now, I did not know what it was (must have been his vomit). So Ash checked if he's alright while I cleaned up the floor.
After a while, Sparkie seemed to be better and he was so excited he was sniffing out the whole area wagging his tail.
When I sense his excitement dying down a bit, I let him have his dinner (it was already 6.45pm).
After dinner, he continued exploring his new home and we played with him for awhile. Then, I saw him yawning and he started walking towards the corner of his crate. He lay there, yawn again, lay his head on his forelegs, and fell asleep soon after. I spent a few minutes squatting in front of his crate, adoringly admiring him. Well, you can't blame me.
After a few hours (guess he really was tired), he woke up and looked at us, sleepy-eyed. So, I let him out (after he's relieved himself) to play.
At around 11pm, we decided to go to bed and so Ash carried the crate into our room and all 3 of us turned in for the night.
After 2.5 hours, I was woken up by the rustling sound of newpaper from the crate. So, I switched on my bedside light and went over to check out on Sparkie. Apparently, he was looking for a place to relieve himself and he wanted to get out of the crate, but he couldn't hold it and had relieved himself inside. So, I opened the crate door, let him out, and cleaned up the wet newspapers. After putting in a set of fresh papers, Sparkie went in the crate, all happy to have his sleeping place cleaned, and went back to sleep.
The same thing happened at 5.30am, so, fearing that I will wake Ash up, I carried the heavy crate out into the living room, changed the papers, gave him breakfast (abit early, but he seemed hungry), and played with him.
At around 7.30am, he went into his crate and rested his head on the floor, so I locked his crate, and went to take a nap in the sofa. It was hard, because the sofa is not really that comfortable to sleep in, and it was really cold out in the living room without a blanket to cover my body. So, desperate, I took the blanket I bought for Sparkie (which he did not use), covered my legs, and tried to fall asleep.
After what seems like forever, I finally fell asleep.
At around 11.30pm, I was woken up by the sound of Sparkie biting his food, so, thinking that I didn't lock his crate door, I jerked up from the sofa, only to see Ash standing in front of me, and Sparkie happily enjoying his lunch. Relieved, I laid back down, and stared blankly at the ceiling.
Yesterday, it was particularly energy-draining, having to clean up his pee and poo from the carpet, trying to guess when he's having to go, following him around to prevent him from relieving himself outside the crate (which is very hard because dogs will try to keep their sleeping place clean), and keeping him busy. It was harder when I have to prepare dinner and Ash had to keep an eye on him. He was basically doing his business everywhere and anywhere in the apartment (other than in his crate), in the living room, the walkway, the study room, the kitchen. Ash was so sick of cleaning up after him he almost gave up, if not for the fact that I have to get dinner ready.
I felt especially guilty because Ash had never wanted a dog. I knew how hard it had been for him, and sometimes, I wonder if it was a wise choice to get a puppy eventually.
Anyway, after dinner and somemore playtime, he fell asleep at around 10pm.
Just hope that he will grow up all healthy and happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment